terça-feira, agosto 05, 2003

Outra vez a Direita, a Homossexualidade, o Respeito pela Diferença e a Liberdade. São conhecidas as posições em defesa dos direitos dos homossexuais – nomeadamente ao casamento – do blogger conservador norte-americano Andrew Sullivan. Uma visita ao seu blog pode ser uma verdadeira lição de tolerância e respeito pelos outros.

Leiam este post:
EMAIL OF THE DAY II: From a Catholic priest urging me to hang in there:
I know...
Times are terrible...
The church says gay people are not permitted to get married, ordained, or adopt children. All prohibitions. Not one statement of moral guidance or recognition. Negation only.
I don't know what to say or think myself.
I wish I could be more encouraging.
I take refuge in conscience (which the tradition treats with utmost respect), and in my belief that the church is larger and older and wiser than one segment, no matter how powerful and officially sanctioned its self-defined role. The Church cannot be contained or proscribed as the narrow experience of what the magisterium teaches. It is all of us. It is the communion of saints. It is the holy spirit alive in the world. And, I suppose, I am just stubborn enough not to let them reduce my church to this...
I am so grateful to all of you who have reached out these past few days. It's been amazing. I've just spent four hours reading your missives. Somuch extraordinary support, compassion, intellect, encouragement. Sometimes, this blog feels like a family. I'm awed and buoyed.
- 10:35:05 PM


Há sinais de esperança. Sinais que nos dizem que nem todos os católicos de direita são Católicos e de Direita! Sinais que há católicos para quem a felicidade de todos é mais importante que a imposição de condutas morais de alguns. Sinais que há gente de direita para quem a liberdade é mais importante que a imposição da ordem.